B Corporation Certification
Achieve B Corporation Certification with B Revolution:
Time-Effective, Cost-Efficient, Strategically-Aligned
B Revolution prides itself on being the world’s leading B Corporation compliance firm, founded by the drafting author of B Lab’s White Paper and nationally recognized expert in the B Corporation certification and legal structure. Our longstanding expertise and experience in helping companies achieve certification means that our clients achieve certification more quickly, at less expense, and with better results than companies who attempt certification on their own. Indeed, because the B Corporation certification process is robust, of the companies that undertake the performance assessment on their own, only approximately 5% achieve certification. (Read more about why below)
Overview of the B Corporation Certification Requirements
In order to become B Corporation certified, businesses must meet three requirements:
- The Performance Requirement. Applicants must achieve a weighted score of at least 80 out of 200 on the B Corporation Impact Assessment (Learn more about the Assessment here). The number of points of analysis for established businesses typically ranges between 150 and 350, and covers all aspects of a business’s operations, from Governance to Worker Practices, Community impacts, Environmental impacts, and finally, the impacts of the Business Model itself. The metrics focus largely on policy infrastructure, program guidelines and documentation, quantitative impact tracking and calculations, and measured practices.
- The Legal Requirement. The legal requirement for achieving certification varies by jurisdiction (our explanation of the jurisdictional variances serves as a useful primer) and B Revolution provides experienced counsel in order to select the appropriate jurisdiction to form the compliant entity, and to effectuate transition through board counsel, entity formation or transition, and, where necessary, shareholder advocacy assistance. Learn more about our legal transition services here.
- The Compliance Requirement. In order to become certified, applicant ventures must agree to consider stakeholders on an ongoing basis, comply with their reporting duties, and track metrics to stay compliant with their reported performance outcomes. B Revolution helps ventures prepare for compliance by laying the appropriate framework and protocols, and then assisting with compliance tasks on an ongoing basis. Learn more about our compliance services here.
Overview of the B Corporation Certification Process
The certification process can be summarized in four steps, often undertaken over a two to six month period:
- The certification process begins with completing the B Corporation Impact Assessment, a 150-350 question assessment (Learn more about the Assessment here).
- Applicants must then improve performance to achieve the minimum performance requirement of 80 out of 200.
- Next, applicants must undergo a rigorous 2 hour interview with a B Lab Standards Associate (B Lab is the certifying body for B Corporations), during which time the applicant must provide sufficient verbal responses to a randomly-selected sample of the Impact Assessment questions.
- Finally, applicants must submit compliant documentation for 8-12 randomly-selected questions of the 150-350 addressed in the Assessment.
How Does B Revolution Help?
B Revolution assists businesses through every phase and aspect of the certification process to achieve compliance in the most cost-effective, time-efficient, and strategically-aligned manner possible. Our services include:
Why Do Businesses Frequently Need Help With Certification?
Because the B Corporation certification process is robust, of the companies that undertake the performance assessment on their own, only approximately 5% achieve certification. The most common reasons for certification failure include:
- Lack of Time. Given competing goals and other objectives, most managers who have the knowledge necessary to complete the assessment simply to not have the time to dedicate to learning the nuances of the assessment and completing it.
- Insufficient Documentation. Because the questions often analyze policies or practices most businesses do not have, many assessment-takers simply get stuck in the assessment because they begin working on a policy or program description, but never complete it because of the amount of work that goes into creating those policies and program descriptions.
- Existing Practices. Because the B Corporation assessment is so comprehensive, most businesses simply have not considered the impacts measured in the assessment. While this may present a shortfall, with experienced assistance this performance gap can also present great opportunities for innovation and strategic improvements.
- Assessment Confusion. Although B Lab offers telephonic and email support for questions regarding the assessment, B Lab cannot help applicants decide what practices to implement, how to implement them, or how to strategically integrate the practices. Moreover, because of the standardized nature of the assessment, many applicants simply have trouble understanding how to integrate a certain practice or policy in their business.
Why Hire B Revolution?
B Revolution provides critical services to assist businesses with achieving certification in the most time-efficient, cost-effective, and strategically aligned manner possible:
- Save time in completing the Impact Assessment. The certification process for existing businesses often takes months even with the assistance of experienced counsel; without counsel, most applicants never complete the assessment, much less achieve certification. B Revolution’s experience in developing deliverables and helping ventures achieve certification means that you skip the learning curve for internal staff members taking the assessment for the first time. B Revolution handles the tedious parts of the process to make certification less stressful, confusing, and painful.
- Save money : in addition to saving the time-cost of internal staff learning the assessment and applying it to your business for the first time, B Revolution helps save businesses money on the strategic performance improvements necessary to achieve certification. Because the assessment will inevitably force ventures to develop policies, create program guidelines, track and manage impacts, and implement procedures, B Revolution’s expertise in building high-performance B Corporations means that ventures skip the learning curve and get to compliance with the least adjustments possible, with the least cost for compliance on practices adopted.
- Strategic alignment of impact practices with business strategy: Inevitably, the drive to improve performance and comply with the certification will encourage entrepreneurs to adopt new practices, policies, programs, and procedures. B Revolution provides a strategic focus for the venture to ensure any adjustments or new adoptions are linked back to the financial performance and competitive strategy of the venture, linking impacts with overall business performance.
Click here to learn more about how B Revolution helps companies Optimize B Corporation performance by distilling the B Corporation metrics into a strategic innovation opportunity for companies, focusing on reaping financial value from high B Corporation performance while minimizing the time and cost it takes for the venture to achieve strategic improvements in B Corporation performance.